Why multilib? (MPlayer?)

go moko gomoko at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 23:35:35 PST 2005

--- jstipins at umich.edu wrote:
> One more thought.  It seems like the goal on a
> mulitlib platform would be
> to have as much 64-bit code as possible... why then
> /lib and /lib64?  Would
> it make more sense to have a /lib and /lib32, or is
> that insane?

If I'm right, I think it's a sort of "standard" which
was adopted by major distro on multilib systems. The
major reason is backward compatibility with 32 bits
systems and tools, which only know about /lib and
/usr/lib by default (useful if you want to chroot on
32bits). On the other hand, 64bits binaries (as ld)
search shared libraries in /lib and /lib64.
But, as in all LFS, you can do as you want, but it
could be more difficult.
G. Moko