PPC question

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 29 15:27:35 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Jim Gifford wrote:

> Good question. Let me do some checking.

  Actually, now I've had to get the fedora srpm, I've taken a look at all
of their patches, and I'm starting to think we need to do a little bit
more in our yaboot install - first, they fix up manpages to not refer to
/usr/local (I guess we can do that in a sed, they also change some of
their install destinations), but second they patch yabootconfig to use
parted instead of mac-fdisk (that bit me earlier when I tried to test
yabootconfig).

  I'm more interested in one of their other patches, which looks as if it
might do the right thing building the second stage on ppc64, but I'll
have to leave it to another day (recovering if it's still wrong isn't
very pretty, and the fan noise upsets me).  BTW, it only builds with
-m32 in multilib, but then I expect you all assumed that anyway.

  While I'm talking about ppc, the OSX utility to write to ext2 is
reportedly broken by the Tiger kernel, so anybody trying to
cross-compile CLFS from osx may be disappointed.