PPC question

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 29 16:50:04 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>  While I'm talking about ppc, the OSX utility to write to ext2 is
>> reportedly broken by the Tiger kernel, so anybody trying to cross-compile
>> CLFS from osx may be disappointed.
>
> I ran into more problems than just that, but unfortunately, I didn't write
> them down. :/
>
> Cross-build the temporary system for ppc64 from x86 and then native build the
> rest. It will be faster in the long run, and save you a bunch of headaches.
>
> --
> JH

  Did that, but booted ubuntu (32-bit userspace) to chroot, after an
interesting excursion caused by the alsa code misidentifying the sound
card, and causing the box to lock as soon as a sound or tab-completion
was attempted 8-|

  Then completed clfs (apart from testing the new yaboot) and a small
bclfs (mostly 32-bit, linux32 didn't help there, and don't ask about
Schily's config process in cdrecord!).  Apart from getting yaboot to
work (rather than just to build), the base system is finished (and has
booted using the ubuntu yaboot).  And it's so quiet with the windfarm
patches, although the windfarm cpu frequency switching on 2.6.14 is a
bit buggy.

  I'm full of admiration for people who build CLFS from other operating
systems but, given my lack of skills, I'm probably more likely to hack
the kernel than to try building from OSX (e.g. alsa, lack of a '\|' key
when I use a british AT keyboard, inability to compile a kernel without