chroot or re-boot on 32 cross-lfs for AMD 64.

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 01:48:12 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Peter Fosseus <peter at overdrive.co.za> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To compile a 64bit kernel, I assume I use my shiny new 64bit cross-compiler,
> following the instructions in "7.11. Linux-2.6.16.1", reboot with this new
> kernel, then chroot ?
>
> -pete

Honestly, I don't *THINK* it will be necessary to use a cross-compiler
to build a 64-bit kernel, but then again, I've never personally built
a kernel on a system that wasn't already 64-bit capable - perhaps Ryan
or Matt could speak up more on this.  But, the kernel compilation is
pretty well self-contained, not requiring anything else to complete
properly, and therefore it may very well be possible to use a 32-bit
GCC.  But, you could of course use your shiny new Cross-GCC to build
the kernel using make ARCH=x86_64 menuconfig and so on.

HTH,
Jeremy