chroot or re-boot on 32 cross-lfs for AMD 64.

William Zhou armageddonmagic at 163.com
Tue Apr 11 12:35:07 PDT 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> William Zhou wrote:
>> It is very strange to have a 64 bit kernel while using 32-bit
>> userland programs.
>> Besides, some like ALSA does not work if the kernel and the userland
>> program
>> did not match.
>
> Strange perhaps, but not unheard of. That's what gentoo does for their
> sparc64 CDs. They have a 64-bit enabled kernel and everything else is
> 32-bit.

Hi,

It is acceptable for an installation CD to have such combination, but
not in a running/final system.

Inspired by the post, in the cross x86_64 book, we might want to
simplified the process by using
a temporary 64 bit kernel to boot into the original system, so that the
chroot option can be chosen
instead of the booting option. Of course, if the build machine did not
support x86_64 we have to
sticky to the booting option then.

BTW, is glibc-2.3.6 still unsuitable for CrossLFS book? What stops it
from being used?

William