Headers

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 07:26:46 PDT 2006

On 4/17/06, Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:
>    After installing GNU libc, you may need to remove or rename
> `/usr/include/linux' and `/usr/include/asm', and replace them with
> copies of `include/linux' and `include/asm-$ARCHITECTURE' taken from
> the Linux source package which supplied kernel headers for building the
> library.

The way I understand this is that the the headers that are used to
build glibc should be the ones that are in /usr/include. That is they
should not be sanitized after glibc is built (as you suggested). This
also agrees with Linus' recommendation.

Additionally, all major distros that I have investigated use sanitized
headers when building glibc and other userspace apps.

In short, the headers in /usr/include/{linux,asm} should be the ones
that glibc was built against (both kernel developers and glibc
developers agree on that). In case they need to be sanitized (which is
a must), they should be sanitized before building glibc not after.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org