More header sanity

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 27 16:37:01 PDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:24:14PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Hey Jim and other headers users,
>
> In case you missed it, there is a very interesting thread in LKML
> about cleaning up a lot of headers for userspace.  Could make your
> life a lot easier. :)
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/4/26/296

 Yeah, but so far Linus is decidedly less than enthusiastic, so the
first stage will *hopefully* be in the next -mm.  If it gets in, it
will be nice, but Linus said "not before 2.6.18" and then said (I
paraphrase) "Not at all if the unwashed masses are the target
audience".

 I'm hoping it will get in because dwmw2 might have enough
influence to get the headers properly sanitised, but I'm not holding
my breath.  Meanwhile, we have to cope with the current situation -
personally, I'm surprised at how well the recent versions of the
headers script cope with adding other headers - so far it seems to
be straightforward to add things that are "no worse than
linux-libc-headers" !

 For the short term, the linux-headers look good, but more testers
are always needed to find the myriad things that userspace assumes.