passwd doesn't work after shadow compilation

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 4 10:23:05 PDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 06:30:16PM +0200, jaca wrote:
> Hello cross-lfs,
>
>   Following subject... The problem is: after shadow compilation and all post-installaton
>   procedures, passwd has improper behavior. It does't wait for user
>   input, just print out all implemented monits and there is no chance
>   to change password. What's wrong? What i should focus on?

 Hi, Jaca,

I've seen this if you don't specify --sysconfdir=/etc : stuff like
/etc/login.defs is in /usr/etc, and passwd ends with code 1.  You
will also find a lock file which needs to be deleted, I think that
really was in /etc in my case.

 If that was the problem, it also causes an error message when trying
to sed the non-existent /etc/login.defs but that is easily missed.