clfs, first experience

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 29 12:12:32 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 07:28:17PM +0100, sacarde wrote:
> Hi,
>    I try t install clfs on my mini-ppc (in hda7) , I install until "reboot
> clfs" from book-SVN

 I'd better start by telling you that this list is deprecated :-(
The clfs stuff is now using lists.cross-lfs.org - see the clfs
website, then subscribe to clfs-support.

> I have already working system on my machine, ubuntu (in hda3)
>
> I start ubuntu and I add lines to yaboot.conf
> image=/boot/clfskernel-2.6.19.1
>     label=SVN-20061226
>     root=/dev/hda7
>     read-only
>

> and run: ybin and mkofboot
>
> but when I restart with clfs I have error
>

> copying of device
> building dt string
> building dt structure
> calling quiesce...
> return from prompt init

 I don't recognise these kernel messages, but then I don't boot my
ppc very often (it sleeps well), and usually the messages run past
at speed.  There is nothing to say that it panic'd (e.g. failed to
mount the root filesystem) so I'll have to use pure guesswork here.
I think it has died at a very early stage (not very many messages
during the boot, perhaps it didn't even give you a screenful ?).

> and stop
>

> can you help me ?
>

> sacarde at tiscali.it

 This might be a bad, or inappropriate, kernel config.  Have you
built your own kernels for this machine before, or is this your
first time?  If so, how did you get the config ?  Did you use ARCH
ppc or powerpc ? (If you didn't specify, it ought to default to
powerpc, which is what you want.  If you have the .config, you
can check what it says.)

 Perhaps it's failing when it tries to switch to the framebuffer,
you could try copying the entry in yaboot.conf, give its label a
new name, and add
 append="video=ofonly"
to see if that helps.

ĸen