x86_64 Target Triplet

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Wed Feb 8 23:21:42 PST 2006

It has becoming known to the developers an issue with the x86_64 target
triplet. It seems the maintainer of config.guess and config.sub has done
something very silly, in my opinion.

In config.guess, if you search for x86_64 you will find the following line.

x86_64:Linux:*:*)
                 echo x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Which causes issues later on. We could fix this with a simple change,
but every package would need to have the fix, if config.guess is
present. The fix would be to
sed -i 's/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/${UNAME_MACHINE}-pc-linux-gnu/g'
config.guess

Now the issue is do we want to do, add the above hack, and live with
every config.guess needing this change, or do we just leave it set to
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.

Opinions and alternative solutions are requested

Thank you all for you support.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org