x86_64 Target Triplet

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 00:01:06 PST 2006

On 2/8/06, Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:
> It has becoming known to the developers an issue with the x86_64 target
> triplet. It seems the maintainer of config.guess and config.sub has done
> something very silly, in my opinion.
>
> In config.guess, if you search for x86_64 you will find the following line.
>
> x86_64:Linux:*:*)
>                  echo x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the second field of the triplet
(which more appropriately should be called a quadruplet, but I
digress), supposed to indicate the "distributor"?  For example, Redhat
machines are usually listed as i386-redhat-linux-gnu, and slackware is
usually listed as i386-slackware-linux-gnu.  Given this, the use of
"unknown" would be quite fitting for our purposes, as we don't really
have a "distributor"....in all actuality, it should more likely be
something like x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu :)

Jeremy