x86_64 Target Triplet

Matt Darcy lfs-list at projecthugo.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 05:00:12 PST 2006

Jim Gifford wrote:
> It has becoming known to the developers an issue with the x86_64 target
> triplet. It seems the maintainer of config.guess and config.sub has done
> something very silly, in my opinion.
>
> In config.guess, if you search for x86_64 you will find the following line.
>
> x86_64:Linux:*:*)
>                 echo x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> Which causes issues later on. We could fix this with a simple change,
> but every package would need to have the fix, if config.guess is
> present. The fix would be to
> sed -i 's/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/${UNAME_MACHINE}-pc-linux-gnu/g'
> config.guess
>
> Now the issue is do we want to do, add the above hack, and live with
> every config.guess needing this change, or do we just leave it set to
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.
>
> Opinions and alternative solutions are requested
>
> Thank you all for you support.

Jim,

I'll chat to you about this tonight and explain the full story that I
Was going to do last night, but basiclly, yet we should change this to
x86_64-gnu-linux as the arch isn't "unknown".

be nice to put a "polish" on the finished product, in the same way we
used to patch coreuntils in earlier LFS releases to stop the "unknown"
-p field.

Matt