mini-config

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Mon Feb 13 03:56:10 PST 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 16:26, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> On 2/12/06, John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:
> > With the new 2.6.15+ kernels, there's a new mini-config option that might
> > be of great use for initial kernels. There's also an allnoconfig and
> > other auto options that could use a mention in the book to help simplify
> > kernel configuration, which is a very difficult task.
> >
> > I tried the mini-config set-up, but the kernel build failed at
> > kernel/pci, so it's not fool-proof yet, but it is something to watch out
> > for. Maybe a basic mini-config that builds could be suggested for the
> > initial kernel, to get people going. Then they can dig deeper into the
> > kernel config at their leisure once they have a booting system to start
> > with?
> >
> > Just a suggestion.
>
> LFS, and especially CLFS, is for experienced Linux users, and by
> definition those type of people should be 100% capable of building
> their own kernel.  I personally don't think the book needs any more
> hand-holding in this regard.

Well, I've built several systems, both LFS and Debian, and I've compiled many
kernels in my time, and the number of options still leaves my head spinning.
I think most people will agree that selecting all the right options for a
particular system is still a bit hit-N-miss, even for experienced builders.

I've also have seen many times that the kernel failed to compile because
incompatible, or just broken options were enabled during the config process.

This isn't meant as a hand-holding experience, but to give a base, minimal
kernel, as recommended in the book, to get the system up and running.

 <FBBG>
Warning

Here a temporary cross-compiled kernel will be built. When configuring it,
select the minimal amount of options required to boot the target machine and
build the final system. I.e., no support for sound, printers, etc. will be
needed.

Also, try to avoid the use of modules if possible, and don't use the resulting
kernel image for production systems.
</FBBG>

Then time can be taken to add or modify the kernel as desired with a known
good kernel to fall back on.

Cheers,

	John Gay