getting 32bit mozilla plugins to work in 64bit

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 18 12:43:28 PST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, jerry porter wrote:

> everyone thinking of building 32bit mozilla to get plugins to work should
> check this out.  32bit plugins can work on 64bit mozilla without 32bit
> mozilla or its libraries.
> here it is:
> http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:nspluginwrapper

  Possibly works on multilib, but will need 32-bit bclfs libraries in
/usr/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib (expat, fontconfig,freetype, X, glib-2,
gtk+-2, pango, atk) as well as the corresponding lib64 versions.

  Needs rpm2cpio and cpio, the binaries are distributed in two rpms and
extract to various directories under ./usr.  The GPL'd part doesn't
install from the Makefile (missing source file), so you'll need to
follow the gentoo ebuild to install the various parts of it and symlink
them.

  I'm not totally averse to polluting my builds with binary plugins, but
for people who build from source this approach provides very little
benefit.  Yes, I know that building mozilla as 32-bit on x86_64 multilib
is fairly painful, and I recognise that using a 32-bit mozilla tends to
prevent you installing a 64-bit gecko and therefore breaks a lot of
assumptions in gnome apps, so maybe this has some good points ;)