udev-cross-lfs

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sat Feb 18 23:34:23 PST 2006

Well, I just got bit by my expert back-up scheme, "Don't do anything stupid
while logged in as root" (-;

I built the boot-option version of pure-64 rather than the chroot option, but
Built a full, modular kernel, since I couldn't get a minimal kernel to detect
my SATA drive. So, while trying to clear up the udev errors during boot, I
ran the make ETCDIR=${LFS} install inside udev-cross-lfs, and promptly
replaced the working udev files on my existing system rather than installing
them into the $LFS partition. A quick read of the Makefile told me I should
have used DESTDIR instead, but the damage was done.

Fortunately, I have the LiveCD I used to build this system around, and managed
to rescue my system by copying the /etc/udev/rules.d/* and
the /etc/rc.d/init.d/udev files from the CD to my system partition and the
system now boots again.

I know there are other things that have been messed with, but it's working
now, and I'll be finishing the pure-64bit build soon.

Not a complaint, just an admission of stupidity (-;

Now I'm going to boot into the 64bit minimal build and finish the CLFS book
and see if I can get the udev stuff to work.

Cheers,

	John Gay