x86_64 Target Triplet

Ryan Oliver ryan.oliver at pha.com.au
Sun Feb 19 22:55:23 PST 2006

Coming in real late on this one ;-)

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 23:21 -0800, Jim Gifford wrote:
> It has becoming known to the developers an issue with the x86_64 target
> triplet. It seems the maintainer of config.guess and config.sub has done
> something very silly, in my opinion.
>
> In config.guess, if you search for x86_64 you will find the following line.
>
> x86_64:Linux:*:*)
>                  echo x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> Which causes issues later on.

Its hard to say whether this is silly or not.

The vendor value should be set to an appropriate setting for
the given hardware

if you consider this little wrinkle

i686-pc-linux-gnu <- generic pc
i686-mac-linux-gnu ( ;-) )

you could probably argue now that "unknown" would be the better default
for ix86, and let the user override the setting to whatever they wanted.

To override just add --host=${desired_triplet} to configure for each
package built, or alternatively only wherever you encounter problems
with the triplets not matching (which isn't often)

Alternatively we could just get down the latest versions of
config.{sub,guess} from savannah.gnu.org, edit them, and keep them
around to copy in when each package is unpacked.

Best Regards
[R]