libgcc_s is not linked in applications. Any suggestion?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 22 13:29:07 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, William Zhou wrote:

> The process we have now is mixing the cross compiler and the temporary system
> in the beginning.
> 1. install   libc-headers     into   /tools /include
> 2. install   binutils            into   /cross-tools
> 3. install   gilbc-headers   into   /tools
> 4. install   gcc-static        into   /cross-tools
> 5. install   glibc-full          into    /tools
> 6. install   gcc-full           into    /cross-tools
> 7. install   binutils           into    /tools
>
> Instead, can we use methods like this:
> 1. install   libc-headers   into   /cross-tools
> 2. install   binutils          into   /cross-tools
> 3. install   glibc-headers into   /cross-tools
> 4. install   gcc-static       into   /cross-tools
> 5. install   glibc-full         into   /cross-tools
> 6. install   gcc-full          into   /cross-tools
> and then start the temporary system construction:
> 7. install   libc-headers   into   /tools
> 8. install   binutils           into   /tools
> 9. install   gcc               into    /tools
>
> Will this mechanism work or simply it cannot be archived because of the way
> it works?

  Without other changes, this cannot work - there is no glibc in /tools.
Possibly, you can interpose another build of glibc after item 6, but
what tangible benefit are you hoping to achieve ?

  On multilib, you have to build glibc twice each time - making people do
that another time had better have some meaningful benefit, particularly
when we remember that all of /cross-tools and /tools is temporary stuff
that we can't even run the testsuites for.  Today I wanted to test a
different glibc snapshot on ppc64, towards fixing an apparent bug in ld
which I suspect prevents firefox from compiling - five and a half hours
of building to be able to run the binutils testsuite, which wasn't any
better.  Add in a few more compiles of glibc, and perhaps gcc, before I
can run the testsuite and I will not be happy 8-|

  das eine Mal als Trag鰀ie, das andere Mal als Farce