ppc64 build, was Re: libgcc_s is not linked in applications. Any suggestion?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 22 14:43:06 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On 2/22/06, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>> Today I wanted to test a
>> different glibc snapshot on ppc64, towards fixing an apparent bug in ld
>> which I suspect prevents firefox from compiling
>
> Hey Ken,
>
> What's the firefox bug?  Just curious because I saw a gcc bug today
> that had to do with mozilla/firefox and I wonder if this is the same
> thing.  It looked like an ld bug, but was really a gcc issue.

  Building with -m64 (not that I particularly _need_ a 64-bit firefox,
but the X-6.9 rc I was using at the time crapped out when run with -m32
on ppc4), the build stops after less than two minutes.  I don't have a
log, but my notes mention a relocation error with what looked like a
glibc 2.3 symbol, in xpcom/typelib/xpt/tools - the only half-related
things I found on google pointed to a -fvisibility problem,
target/PR20199, and then to libstdc++/PR19664.  That old bug was still
open earlier this week, but I grabbed an attached patch and tried to
apply it to gcc-4.0.2 in /opt - made no difference to firefox, nor did a
gcc-4.1 snapshot, and 3.4.4 didn't compile on this glibc.

  At the moment, I think this is probably a toolchain problem, so I'm
trying to find versions that can do rather better in these ld tests.  If
I can find something not too outlandish, I'll try a full rebuild.

Certainly, a glibc snapshot from late January shows the same failures in
the ld testsuite (and after that, glibc had a late abi change which will
require gcc-4.1 [ and has delayed 4.1 while it is implemented and
retested ]).

  Next, I'll be trying this week's binutils snapshot with January's
glibc.  If that's no better, I guess I get to try all three from CVS,
but if that happens I'm less than convinced about going on to try a full
build (I'm dubious how much will break with a newer gcc, and anyway all
I really want is a usable browser, one toolchain package from CVS in the
book is bad enough).