libgcc_s is not linked in applications. Any suggestion?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 22 14:58:37 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, William Zhou wrote:

> As you stated, there is no glibc in /tools. There is no glibc in /cross-tools
> before we built it. So we can build one in /tools. IMO,  out temporary system
> build should not be
> mixed with cross compiler. I understand that it took you hours to build a
> system to test something, but it is not what LFS for, LFS is for teaching
> people how to build Linux.

  My point is that CLFS is to teach how to get a working system - if the
requirements to build it become too time-consuming, who can test the
changes ?  We aren't in the simple position of LFS with only one
architecture, somebody tests on _an_ architecture and commits the change
for all, but that doesn't necessarily mean other architectures will not
have issues.

  I encourage you to try reordering the build as you desire.  (e.g.
follow the book to see what gets installed, and how the logs look, then
repeat using your preferred instructions, and for each breakage try to
work out how to fix it).  I'm sure it will be an interesting learning
experience if you can stand the pain.

  I'm not ignoring your question about search paths - I'm not a toolchain
expert, I don't know the answer.