Starting again.

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sat Feb 25 20:29:30 PST 2006

Well, after the week at work, and the problems with the previous build, I've
decided to start again.
Here's my set-up:

Dual Opteron running LFS-6.0 and KDE Desktop.

Building from CLFS-20060223

Special needs:
nVidia drivers for X.
udev and hotplug for modules and USB devices.

General plan:
Build the minimal-boot system rather than the chroot environment, since I"m
building from a 32-bit system. I think chroot won't work? Is this correct?

I'm slightly aware of the udev/hotplug issues. I have the different boot
scripts, just not sure how to integrate them properly in the minimal boot
system. I still get loads of udev errors on boot. I know the first kernel is
supposed to be minimal and non-modular, but I can't seem to configure it
properly for all my needs unless I use make oldconfig with my
current .config.

Once I get the base system running properly, I plan to add modular X.org,
nVidia's 64-bit drivers and a full-blown KDE Desktop.

Question:
I'll keep it simple for now. The last few builds I've attempted, when I
re-booted the minimal system to start re-building the base system, I get
loads of udev errors about hotplug. I know this is a known issue and there
are different boot scripts. What I don't know is which part of the book, in
chapter 7 do I change to get udev to work properly. I'll be using
linux-2.6.16-rc4 as my kernel, since I understand udev doesn't work properly
with 2.6.14 as listed in the book.

Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication in keeping LFS bleeding
edge.

Cheers,

	John Gay