gnome-desktop

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 2 06:48:54 PST 2006

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> I've noticed this with a few Gnome packages, where it complains that a
> file is missing from /usr/lib, when it is actually in /usr/lib64.
> Usually, it's a .la file that a pckage complains about.  Gnome-desktop
> does the same, but it also wants libjpeg.so and libgnome-keyring.so to
> be in /usr/lib.

  To build a multilib desktop, you need to design it first!  For example,
on x86_64 the only likely reasons to build 32-bit are to use plugins
(e.g. for firefox), or to use software that is too broken to build as
64-bit (reputedly, OOo) - in general, x86_64 progs are marginally bigger
than x86, but gain a lot of speed from having more registers for the
compiler to use.  On RISC machines the justifications can be different
(32-bit apps will use less memory when running).

  So, first you have to decide which applications need to be 32-bit, then
check all their dependencies: any libraries these supply have to be
32-bit, any binary progs like e.g. unzip can be either.  If a library is
needed in both sizes, you have to build it twice AND save any useful
programs (e.g. freetype-config) so that you can point the configure
process to the correct program.

  Sometimes, Makefiles have lib hardcoded into various paths - in
general, try to configure, then grep for 'lib/' in the configured files,
and look at where it came from.  There is no one-size-fits-all approach
to configuring packages to use lib64.

  At the moment, my multilib desktop only has minimal gnome, and no kde,
so I can't provide detailed advice beyond noting that almost all my
multilib problems were with the 32-bit versions.

  With .la files, you need to inspect them to make sure that even though
they are in lib64/ the dependency_libs do not reference /usr/lib or
/usr/X11R6/lib.