Dennis J Perkins
dperkins at frii.com
Mon Jan 2 07:58:49 PST 2006
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 14:48 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> > I've noticed this with a few Gnome packages, where it complains that a
> > file is missing from /usr/lib, when it is actually in /usr/lib64.
> > Usually, it's a .la file that a pckage complains about. Gnome-desktop
> > does the same, but it also wants libjpeg.so and libgnome-keyring.so to
> > be in /usr/lib.
> To build a multilib desktop, you need to design it first! For example,
> on x86_64 the only likely reasons to build 32-bit are to use plugins
> (e.g. for firefox), or to use software that is too broken to build as
> 64-bit (reputedly, OOo) - in general, x86_64 progs are marginally bigger
> than x86, but gain a lot of speed from having more registers for the
> compiler to use. On RISC machines the justifications can be different
> (32-bit apps will use less memory when running).
> So, first you have to decide which applications need to be 32-bit, then
> check all their dependencies: any libraries these supply have to be
> 32-bit, any binary progs like e.g. unzip can be either. If a library is
> needed in both sizes, you have to build it twice AND save any useful
> programs (e.g. freetype-config) so that you can point the configure
> process to the correct program.
> Sometimes, Makefiles have lib hardcoded into various paths - in
> general, try to configure, then grep for 'lib/' in the configured files,
> and look at where it came from. There is no one-size-fits-all approach
> to configuring packages to use lib64.
> At the moment, my multilib desktop only has minimal gnome, and no kde,
> so I can't provide detailed advice beyond noting that almost all my
> multilib problems were with the 32-bit versions.
> With .la files, you need to inspect them to make sure that even though
> they are in lib64/ the dependency_libs do not reference /usr/lib or
I don't use OOo. I'm not using plugins for Firefox, but I might want to
in the future.
I have looked in the configure files and in the makefiles trying to find
the problem. I didn't think of looking inside the .la files. I'll try
that next. Thanks.
More information about the cross-lfs