2.6.15 Hotplugging/Coldplugging via udev

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Wed Jan 4 21:53:09 PST 2006

I know this is a topic a lot of people are interested in. How to get
udev hotplugging working. It's not a simple procedure, but I got it to
work on a Sparc so it should work for everyone. Any changes or comments
are welcomed, but I figured I would share the news.

First off, you will need to patch the kernel. 2.6.15 is not all the way
there, but GregKH has the necessary patches available to make it work. I
used
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-all-2.6.15.patch

Second, you will need to use udev 079, here is the build instructions
you must use to get full functionality.
make EXTRAS="extras/firmware extras/scsi_id extras/volume_id
extras/ata_id extras/usb_id extras/edd_id extras/dasd_id extras/cdrom_id
extras/floppy" udevdir=/dev

make EXTRAS="extras/firmware extras/scsi_id extras/volume_id
extras/ata_id extras/usb_id extras/edd_id extras/dasd_id extras/cdrom_id
extras/floppy" udevdir=/dev install
cp extras/path_id /sbin
cp extras/eventrecorder.sh /lib/udev
rm -rf /etc/udev/rules.d/*

Third you will need the udev package that the Cross-LFS team developed.
I keep tarballs available on my system for download
http://ftp.jg555.com/udev/udev-cross-lfs.tar.bz2

To install this package use make install

Then make sure you remove your hotplug script if you have it running in
/etc/rc.d/

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org