2.6.15 Hotplugging/Coldplugging via udev

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 5 11:29:05 PST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Jim Gifford wrote:

> I know this is a topic a lot of people are interested in. How to get udev
> hotplugging working. It's not a simple procedure, but I got it to work on a
> Sparc so it should work for everyone. Any changes or comments are welcomed,
> but I figured I would share the news.

Jim,

  thanks for spelling out the details of what needs to be done.  How
about putting this all (including the kernel patches) in the CLFS book,
with a description of what the kernel patches fix so that people can be
sure what they are testing ?

  For example, I've got a usb memory stick somewhere which obviously
needs hotplugging if I connect it after booting, but I'm unclear if any
other devices are likely to be affected - is it only usb and firewire in
consumer-grade machines ?

  And, if I don't have any hotpluggable devices on a machine, presumably
I can use a vanilla 2.6.15 kernel with the rest of the infrastructure ?