2.6.15 Hotplugging/Coldplugging via udev

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Thu Jan 5 11:41:31 PST 2006

Ken Moffat wrote:

> Jim,
>
>  thanks for spelling out the details of what needs to be done.  How
> about putting this all (including the kernel patches) in the CLFS
> book, with a description of what the kernel patches fix so that people
> can be sure what they are testing ?
>
>  For example, I've got a usb memory stick somewhere which obviously
> needs hotplugging if I connect it after booting, but I'm unclear if
> any other devices are likely to be affected - is it only usb and
> firewire in consumer-grade machines ?
>
>  And, if I don't have any hotpluggable devices on a machine,
> presumably I can use a vanilla 2.6.15 kernel with the rest of the
> infrastructure ?
>
> Ken

Ken,
    It's not ready for Prime time, I just put it out since a lot of
people where interested in it, which it looks like it was a big
mistake!! That's why Ryan and I miss lfs-hackers list.

    The patch is a congolomeration of fixes to drivers, sysfs, and
uevent updates. Without the sysfs updates the network devices will not
hotplug properly. Talking with Chris Staub, on his x86, sound seems not
to work properly.

    I'm getting ready to test on a x86 and MIPS box. I have the changes
in my build_scripts, which you more than welcome to try.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com