2.6.15 Hotplugging/Coldplugging via udev

Matt Darcy lfs-list at projecthugo.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 01:48:33 PST 2006

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Jim Gifford wrote:
>
>> Ken,
>>   It's not ready for Prime time, I just put it out since a lot of
>> people where interested in it, which it looks like it was a big
>> mistake!! That's why Ryan and I miss lfs-hackers list.
>>
>  me too.
>
>>   The patch is a congolomeration of fixes to drivers, sysfs, and
>> uevent updates. Without the sysfs updates the network devices will not
>> hotplug properly. Talking with Chris Staub, on his x86, sound seems
>> not to work properly.
>>
>  for the box I was thinking about, I can do without sound, but
> networking is a different matter.  Guess I'd better get the kernel
> patches, thanks for the advice, might be a day or two before I can act
> on it.
>
> Ken

Ken,

you may for your own interest want to drag down the latest git kernel
branch (linus - not alt branch) it has the been running some of the
already noted bugs in 2.6.15 and is pretty much what 2.6.15.1 will end
up (bar some x86_64 stuff removal).

I've been running against this scince just before 2.6.15 and the network
device problem is removed, although I can't confirm the sound device
problems.

Its probably better to test against this as this is %99 what 2.6.15.1
will become rather than against the patches (incase they are different).

This of course is not to say don't test against the patches, just
offering an alternate thought.

Matt