Using cross tools to build the entire distribution

Michael J. Hammel cross-lfs at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jan 10 17:15:18 PST 2006

I'm making progress on my MIPS Multilib environment.  Almost done with
the temporary tools.

I'm a little confused though - why can't I use the cross-tools I built
to build the entire distribution?  Why do I need to boot into the native
platform to build the rest of the root filesystem?  Can't I use the
cross-tools to build any application bound for my target system
(assuming its target safe - ie it works on that target)?

I can set up to network boot the target platform and use the temporary
tools to build the distro, but I was wondering why I can't just use the
host platform to do that using the cross-tools.

--
Michael J. Hammel           | Women serve but to keep a man from better company.
The Graphics Muse           |        William Wycherley, English dramatist.