inetutils vs creating directories question

Michael J. Hammel cross-lfs at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jan 12 10:32:10 PST 2006

In the boot method chapter (Section IV Chapter 7), inetutils applies a
patch so not all man pages are installed.  I did this and inetutils
appears to build and install okay.  In $LFS I have the following after
inetutils ran:

mjhammel(tty3)$ lc /mnt/lfs-mips/usr/man/man1
mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-ftp.1     mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-talk.1
mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-rcp.1     mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-telnet.1
mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-rlogin.1  mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-tftp.1
mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-rsh.1

mjhammel(tty3)$ lc /mnt/lfs-mips/usr/info
inetutils.info  inetutils.info-1  inetutils.info-2  inetutils.info-3

These appear to be correct based on the contents for inetutils defined
by LFS 10.34. Inetutils-1.4.2 (which the CLFS page points to).

However, in CLFS 7.9 - Creating Directories there is this ln command:

ln -s share/{man,doc,info} ${LFS}/usr

This failed because $(LFS)/usr/man dn $(LFS)/usr/info were already
created by inetutils.

Did I muck up here?  It's possible usr/man and usr/info were created by
inetutils accidentally while I debugged that build and the correct
behaviour prevents those directories from being created by inetutils.
Maybe these were left over from that and 7.9 is correct.   But I was
unsure of that because those man pages appear to match the binaries that
were actually installed.

Perhaps the command should actually be

ln -s share/{man,doc,info} ${LFS}/usr/share

although if that's the case, the next line in creating directories would
be wrong too:

install -d ${LFS}/usr/share/{doc,info,locale,man}

since usr/share/man would have been created by the previous link
command.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |     Home is where the house is.