Cross LFS and UTF-8

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Tue Jan 17 15:34:41 PST 2006

Recently LFS has added support for UTF-8. We at CLFS are also looking to
include support for UTF-8, but not the same way that LFS has it done. If
you noticed a few package changes were added to incorporate these
changes, Berkeley DB and Man-DB. The developers of CLFS don't feel all
of these package changes are necessary and are looking for alternative
ways to implement UTF-8. So any feedback the CLFS community has on this
topic will be welcomed.

The question also has come up, how we should implement UTF-8, make it a
standard part of the build, or add notes into the packages that require
build changes. An example of what I propose is similar to the Shadow
page with cracklib.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/clfs/view/cross-lfs/x86/final-system/shadow.html.
As the CLFS community we ask your opinion on how we should implement
these changes.

Thank you all again for Support CLFS.

--
------