Cross LFS and UTF-8

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 17 15:48:46 PST 2006

Jim Gifford wrote:
> Recently LFS has added support for UTF-8. We at CLFS are also looking to
> include support for UTF-8, but not the same way that LFS has it done. If
> you noticed a few package changes were added to incorporate these
> changes, Berkeley DB and Man-DB. The developers of CLFS don't feel all
> of these package changes are necessary and are looking for alternative
> ways to implement UTF-8. So any feedback the CLFS community has on this
> topic will be welcomed.

I think that Cross-LFS should focus on cross-building and related issues
only and follow LFS everywhere else. If you don't like the way something
has been implemented in LFS, then work to get it changed in LFS. If you
have an alternative solution, and solid reasons for adopting it, I don't
see why LFS wouldn't consider it.

Otherwise you're separating yourself from LFS and causing rifts within
the community. Also you're adding extra support issues, for yourself,
for BLFS and for LFS.

If you are one of the CLFS devs and feel as Jim does, please speak up
and state your reasons why. I feel very strongly that CLFS should *not*
try unecessarily to differ itself from LFS, but that it should try to
synchronize with it as much as possible.

--
JH