Cross LFS and UTF-8

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 17 16:17:52 PST 2006

Jim Gifford wrote:
> But this is going to be a core issue, since UTF-8 support is in LFS,
> everyone expects it to be in CLFS. Our decision to test alternative
> build methods for building a UTF-8 compliant system will not interfere
> or detract from LFS's build. But may open everyone to the fact that
> there is alway's different ways to get to the end result. CLFS will
> never be exactly like LFS, just the same end product. Matt and I have
> discussed this numerous times, we will never force LFS to take our
> ideals or build method's. It's up the leader of the particular book of
> how to pursue the way they feel.

Jim, this touches on something deeper than that. It's *not* just up to
the leader. You have to consider how it affects the other projects, and
the community as well. By saying "we don't like how it's done in LFS,
we're going to find another way. We don't know how yet, but we will"
you're striking a chord of segragation. You're not even attempting to
fix the 'problem' at the source. That is where my beef with this lies.

So test it in LFS, and get it right in LFS first. There's no reason to
start testing for a different solution in CLFS just because you don't
like how it is currently in LFS. You're going about it backwards and by
doing so, causing separation.

--
JH