Cross LFS and UTF-8

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jan 18 08:14:37 PST 2006

Matt Darcy wrote:

> I think its important to give people an option on having utf support
> or now, at the current moment people are wanting utf to be included in
> the book because you can't follow the native book and build UTF
> (missing patches etc) - however why lock in the other people who don't
> want it by making a book that HAS to have UTF included in it.
>
> I really believe this needs to be an option rather than a way of building.

This is still an option (a configuration option): you don't set
UNICODE=1 in /etc/sysconfig/console, and don't set LANG to xx_YY.UTF-8.
The result is that you continue to use a 8-bit locale.

It is no problem to mark the build changes as optional, but why would
you want this? A UTF-8 enabled book works in both traditional and UTF-8
locales (i.e.: one build-time size really fits all), and the old book
supports only 8-bit locales.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov