Cross LFS and UTF-8

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jan 18 08:22:59 PST 2006

Jim Gifford wrote:

> As far as the utf-8 stuff, I think will all have a misunderstanding of
> what the goals are there, is it to support other locales and
> languages, or to support and encoding method. As we had a discussion
> last night I stumbled onto something, now granted it doesn't work for
> every locale, but it raises more questions.

The main valid reason to use UTF-8, IMHO, is compatibility with RedHat.
The problem is that LFS already has interoperability problems with the
latest RedHat distros: e.g., you just can't share files with them over
NFS and have non-ASCII filenames readable on both computers (because
RedHat doesn't support anything else than UTF-8 and LFS doesn't support
UTF-8). And LSB is (unfortunately) on RedHat's side.

> For those who are wondering what I'm talking about and have followed
> LFS and CLFS, you installed the basic locales for the test suites,
> give this a try. LANG=de_DE LC_ALL=de_DE LANGUAGE=de_DE fdisk /dev/hda

overkill. LANG=de_DE fdisk /dev/hda will do exactly the same thing if
LC_* and LANGUAGE are unset.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov