Cross LFS and UTF-8

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Wed Jan 18 08:34:28 PST 2006

> The main valid reason to use UTF-8, IMHO, is compatibility with
> RedHat. The problem is that LFS already has interoperability problems
> with the latest RedHat distros: e.g., you just can't share files with
> them over NFS and have non-ASCII filenames readable on both computers
> (because RedHat doesn't support anything else than UTF-8 and LFS
> doesn't support UTF-8). And LSB is (unfortunately) on RedHat's side.

So this is a Redhat bug not a LFS related issue. If Redhat/Fedora should
be compatible across the board. Has anyone opened up a trouble ticked
with them?
>> For those who are wondering what I'm talking about and have followed
>> LFS and CLFS, you installed the basic locales for the test suites,
>> give this a try. LANG=de_DE LC_ALL=de_DE LANGUAGE=de_DE fdisk /dev/hda
>
> overkill. LANG=de_DE fdisk /dev/hda will do exactly the same thing if
> LC_* and LANGUAGE are unset.

See a lot of people were under the impression that utf-8 was to support
different locales, the example above is only to prove to people that
locales can be supported without utf-8.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org