UTF-8

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Fri Jan 20 08:34:11 PST 2006

This discussion needs to happen on both lfs-dev and cross-lfs, everyone
in lfs-dev seems to want it, but people in cross-lfs don't need it.
That's why I started the thread on both lists.

Talking to community members in cross-lfs, most of them don't want to be
forced to use utf-8, because they don't need it. Others want to be able
to test it, and if they don't like it do a build without it.

What I proposed is something similar to the shadow page and cracklib.
The only drastic change is to ncurses, which will all can probably
figure out easily.

With what's going on with the groff and man maintainers, Alex and I are
hopeful we will have a solution that will work with out the additional
packages. But this is going to be a few months before we can get to that
point.

As far as Cross-LFS is concerned with utf-8, I would like to hold off
until then.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org