UTF-8

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:56:55 PST 2006

On 1/20/06, Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:
> This discussion needs to happen on both lfs-dev and cross-lfs, everyone
> in lfs-dev seems to want it, but people in cross-lfs don't need it.
> That's why I started the thread on both lists.

Why the division? I thought cross-lfs was just a way of building LFS
from arch X to arch Y but in all other respects it would be similar to
LFS. The end result of the two books should not be different (unless
it is absolutely warranted e.g. bootloaders). If I am build LFS and
cross LFS with target architecture of x86, the installation should be
identical.

What if gcc-5 is released tomorrow and LFS upgrades to it but BLFS
says - "We are a different project and no one on blfs-dev wants to
upgrade to the new release so BLFS will just stick with gcc-4." The
situation you are mentioning is quite similar.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org