UTF-8

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jan 20 09:37:16 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 06:34:20AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> So, if you're following this thread and you have a strong feeling that
> you'd like the UTF-8 changes to be added in as the default or prefer
> them to be stored in an appendix, please make your opinion known.

+1 for "make UTF-8 capability the default".

If that means we need to use man-db + BDB, I have no problem with that.
But if others do take issue with adding those packages, then I'm also OK
with waiting a couple months until plain old man and groff work in UTF-8.

(Note that I haven't yet missed not having UTF-8 support; I use US-ASCII
for about everything anyway.  But I do realize how much of an issue it's
getting to be, and I want a system that will work with UTF-8-charset
files (and manpages, etc.) by default.  If nothing else, so I can test
the i18n that I'm doing to the few programs I write.)

(Copied to cross-lfs also; I'm not sure if this will matter over there
or not, but oh well.)