UTF-8

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Fri Jan 20 09:39:08 PST 2006

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> On 1/20/06, Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:
>
>> This discussion needs to happen on both lfs-dev and cross-lfs, everyone
>> in lfs-dev seems to want it, but people in cross-lfs don't need it.
>> That's why I started the thread on both lists.
>>

> Why the division? I thought cross-lfs was just a way of building LFS
> from arch X to arch Y but in all other respects it would be similar to
> LFS. The end result of the two books should not be different (unless
> it is absolutely warranted e.g. bootloaders). If I am build LFS and
> cross LFS with target architecture of x86, the installation should be
> identical.

That's the question. Why is there a division between the two different
communities, we got LFS that really wants it bad, and Cross-LFS where
they don't see a need for it. That's what I've been trying to figure out.

My feelings are I'm willing to try utf-8, but I don't think it's
completely ready yet. I have an issue with Man-db and adding Berkeley
DB(I just hate the constant ABI changes). I also see a problem with the
new groff depending on netpbm (Alex did find a way around that.)

I think more testing is needed before it goes into the book. We need to
know all the in's and out's. Alex did do some testing, but none of the
lfs-dev's have tested it. I'm currently testing it in cross-lfs with
Alex's changes without man-db and berkeley, and it looks promising, but
not ready for the book.

Talking with the man maintainer he's going to push up the utf-8 stuff
into the next release which will be out in a few weeks.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com