UTF-8

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Fri Jan 20 10:45:28 PST 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Viernes, 20 de Enero de 2006 17:34, Jim Gifford escribió:
>
>> Talking to community members in cross-lfs, most of them don't want to be
>> forced to use utf-8, because they don't need it. Others want to be able
>> to test it, and if they don't like it do a build without it.
>
> No one is forcing to use UTF-8 locales, but trying to fix the bugs that
> prevents to use UTF-8 locales if desired or needed.

I don't think anyone is debating that they aren't being forced to use
UTF-8 locales. However, the issue is that if you never do use a UTF-8
locale, then the UTF-8 code just sits there unnecessarily taking up
space. It isn't a question of whether it "works" - I *know* that
non-UTF-8 locales will work fine with UTF-8-enable LFS - it's that if
the extra disk space and memory being taking up is not needed, then it
shouldn't be there.