UTF-8

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:50:38 PST 2006

On 1/20/06, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:

> I don't think anyone is debating that they aren't being forced to use
> UTF-8 locales. However, the issue is that if you never do use a UTF-8
> locale, then the UTF-8 code just sits there unnecessarily taking up
> space. It isn't a question of whether it "works" - I *know* that
> non-UTF-8 locales will work fine with UTF-8-enable LFS - it's that if
> the extra disk space and memory being taking up is not needed, then it
> shouldn't be there.

Except for the bdb package (which most users may install down the line
anyways), there is no extra space and memory being taken up. The
various language man-pages and various locales are already being
installed, the disk space is already taken up. Just check out the
/usr/share/locale and /usr/share/man directories.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org