Network boot hint - possible changes to rc.sysinit

Michael J. Hammel cross-lfs at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jan 20 15:36:32 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 11:23 -0800, Jim Gifford wrote:
> > 3. removed all the symlinks - these seem to get created by udev (I
> > think)
> >
> Nope they don't get created, they are a manual process unfortunately.

I should trust you more.  :-)  The problem that caused me to make all
those changes was because tmpfs was not compiled into the kernel.  Live
and learn.

> You should be asked to login, but this is dependent on your login. You
> should get a login prompt.

This turned out to be because agettty was configured for ttyS0 but using
console instead worked for us.  Now I'm getting the login.

> > echo "Starting udev"
> > udevstart
> > mount -n -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev -o mode=755
> >
> If you do this your devices will be created on your netboot /dev instead
> of /tmpfs

Yup - see previous goof re: not adding tmpfs to the kernel.

Thanks.
--
Michael J. Hammel <cross-lfs at graphics-muse.org>