Memory Usage

Konrad Micinski ewmicinski at poczta.onet.pl
Sat Jan 21 05:06:07 PST 2006

Dirk Kleinschmidt wrote:
> Hi everyone again,
>
> I tried to analyze the memory usage of my CLFS a little bit and found a
> surprise (for me). Can anyone explain to me, why almost no memory is
> left (out of 512 mb) even though I'm just running apache, ssh and fcron?
>

> /proc/meminfo
>
> MemTotal:       514264 kB
> MemFree:          3960 kB
> Buffers:          6216 kB
> Cached:         483836 kB
> SwapCached:          0 kB
> Active:         105192 kB
> Inactive:       389500 kB

Look at 'Cached' - it's almost equal to your total RAM. 'Cached' is a
part of RAM where frequently/recently used disk areas are stored (for
faster access).
The same happens on my system: for example when I'm watching a movie
from DVD, part of the movie is stored in RAM (btw. I think it's quite
stupid - why should I need to watch the same movie again? ).
The good information: cached area will be freed as soon, as the system
decide you don't need/use stored data.

Here is 'cat /proc/meminfo' from the computer I'm working on:

MemTotal:       508136 kB
MemFree:         92856 kB
Buffers:           604 kB
Cached:         234540 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         175132 kB
Inactive:       163756 kB

Almost the half of available RAM is used for 'Cached'.

--
Konrad Micinski                 |  Kolo Naukowe Elektronikow
Reg. Linux User: 187689         |    Wydzialu Elektrycznego