Santized Kernel Headers

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sat Jan 21 22:38:32 PST 2006

I think we all have come to realization that LLH headers are not coming
out. So I've been checking into how to make these headers. So I'm asking
everyone's opinion on this before I pursue this task.

As we all know the gcc has the fixincludes that fixes includes files to
be more compatible. So dug into this over the last couple of days to
figure out what it was actually doing. Upon my researching it, find out
most of it really doesn't do anything except for a single file and
command. File is fixincl.tpl, and the command was autogen.

Autogen's home page is at  http://www.gnu.org/software/autogen/

When I was reseaching autogen's home page I came accross this link
http://www.gnu.org/software/autogen/fixinc.html
Which shows how autogen was being used in fixincludes in gcc.

Now for my questions, my answers are in the ()

Do we really want to pursue our own creating of sanitized headers?
(Possbily)
Do we want to wait for LLH? (Could be a long time)
Do we want use 2.4 headers with patches, like the distro's? (NO!, may
loose some 2.6 ABI functionality)

I have copied both the LFS-DEV list and Cross-LFS list, this has been a
topic of some questions both in these lists and in IRC
(yes I know, that's why I'm posting this message)

Look forward to your feedback

Jim

--
------