problems in the boot phase

Jari Kankaala jarik at dtek.chalmers.se
Thu Jan 26 16:12:04 PST 2006

Hi,

I've been trying to build a cross-lfs (20060124) and I got to the point
where it's time for the boot phase. First I've deviated from the book
on three points. First I use reiserfs, second I use a separate /boot
partition and third I use the 2.6.15.1 kernel. The reason for the newer
kernel is that it has better support for my mb (asus a8n-vm csm).
The boot process gets halted on INIT. It seems all 6 ttys fail to start.
Checked the FAQ and did a character-by-character comparison between my
inittab and the one from chapter 7.6.2 and they check out. Tried to
google on it but didn't find anything useful. Could it be something with
udev? /dev only has console and null in it. No hidden files. Or is it
kernel related? I'm really stuck and would appreciate any help.
ReiserFS: sda6: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: sda6: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: sda6: journal params: device sda6, size 8192, journal first
block 18,
max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: sda6: checking transaction log (sda6)
ReiserFS: sda6: Using r5 hash to sort names
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed
INIT: version 2.86 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel