problems in the boot phase

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 27 05:35:08 PST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Jari Kankaala wrote:

> OK, did the ldd's and it says:
> "not a dynamic executable"
> which gotta be good.

  Either I'm missing your irony, or this is a new value of 'good' ;)

  As far as I can see, you haven't told us what architecture you are
building, but since grub is mentioned, I'll assume x86_64 (multilib).

  On my pure64 (final) system I get
ken at bluesbreaker ~ $ldd /sbin/agetty
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00002b4ee9713000)
         /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00002b4ee95fd000)
  I guess that you should be seeing /tools/lib64/ at this stage in
multilib.

  Probably the most-productive approach is to use ldd from your cross-
toolchain (if that wasn't the ldd you used).  Certainly, it should
understand these binaries, and perhaps that will show an error.

  If that is all ok, maybe a kernel config error - you need to make sure
you build a 64-bit kernel.  And for multilib, you will also need the
32-bit emulation.

  If _none_ of that helps, search for 'init respawning too fast' in the
LFS archives - from time to time, that comes up (for a regular LFS), but
I don't remember what causes it.

> And yeah, I did check the inittab. Could it be
> something in the installation of Sysvinit-2.86 that went wrong? I
> might redo the whole installation on one partition and with ext3
> instead. Doesn't feel like a problem with the filesystem though,
> since the boot process recognizes it. I had to remove the /boot
> part from the grub menu.lst file to get it to boot. Don't know if
> that's because I have a separte /boot partition.
> //JMK

  I very much doubt that reiserfs is the problem, much as I enjoy
disparaging it!

  My multilib box has a separate boot partition, and is set up as
follows:

  /boot is on /dev/sda15 (the slowest part of the disk)

  I installed grub as

   grub
   root (hd0,14)
   setup (hd0)
   quit

  and entries in menu.lst are like

   title Multilib-20051017X-2.6.14 (sda8)
   root (hd0,14)
   kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-sda8 ro root=/dev/sda8
   video=radeonfb:1024x768-16 at 70

  I suspect your grub problems are caused by passing wrong parameters in
menu.lst.  The 'root (hd0,14)' points to where the kernel can be found -
because I mount this at '/boot' there are no direectories to traverse on
that filesystem to get to the kernels, so that kernel is specified as
'/vmlinuz-2.6.14-sda8' and NOT as '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14-sda8'.

HTH