CLFS and VIA eden based board.

Wim Vandamme w.a.vandamme at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 06:26:51 PST 2006

Hi Jim,

> You would of needed to select 486 in the kernel that's why your getting
> the i686 in the final system.

I recompiled the linux kernel with 486 as selected architure and installed
it in my minimal system form chapter 7.
The system boots and runs fine using the 486 kernel, but config.guess
still recognizes a i686 system. Also "uname -m" returns "i686".
The cpu also reports itself as a 6 family cpu to the linux kernel. See
"cat /proc/cpuinfo"
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 599.979
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1183.74

What is wierd is that I can boot/run the LFS LiveCD 6.1.1 without problems, but
the binaries on the LiveCD seems to contain "cmov" instructions. I checked
this today using "objdump -d <bin or lib.so> | grep -i cmov". So, I'm
a bit confused.
But, It could also be that the linux kernel is emulating the "cmov"
instructions.
I will google a bit more about it ... or does somebody reading this
list knows the
answer ?

Anyway, for Chapter 10, I will try to play around with -march=i486 and
maybe have
a look at the hint: "How to build LFS for different sub-architectures"
from Ted Bullock.

Thanks,

W.