Announcing CLFS 1.0.0rc3 - The "Bender" release

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Thu Jul 27 06:28:05 PDT 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 17:15, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> On 7/26/06, John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:
> > My only complaint, and this applies to LFS as well, GPM isn't included,
> > which makes copying commands from one term to the next quite long and
> > disaster-laden. My fix is to build gpm as soon as I have bison installed
> > so I can cut-N-paste. Really saves my fingers, though by that time it's
> > too little, too late.
> >
> > I also cross-compile lynx so I can read the book once I boot into the
> > minimal build system.
>
> John - I have something you might just find interesting and useful.
> It's still in a raw state, but it's far enough that I feel comfortable
> having an experienced builder try it:
>
> http://hurricane.jutley.org/ssh-hint.txt
>
> Since I build on so many headless machines (my Sparc, MIPS, and PPC
> machines all run headless under normal circumstances), and I hate
> building via serial console, I wrote up this little hint which
> installs Inetutils, IPROUTE2, DHCPCD, and the Dropbear SSH server
> (meant for embedded systems) as part of the initial cross-built
> programs.  This way, you can  SSH in to do your final build.

That sounds interesting, wonder if I could use it to build a native Linux
system on my GP2X (-;, just because.

But seriously, my Dual Opteron is my main, and currently only running system
for building, so I don't know how useful that would be in my situation.

But thanks for the info. Might check it out for future hacking.

Cheers,

	John Gay