Starting again.

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sun Mar 5 05:13:12 PST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 17:32, Jim Gifford wrote:
> John do the following,
>     Upgrade to your kernel to 2.6.16 release or 2.6.15. If you use
> 2.6.15, you will need to apply this patch.
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/old/gregkh-
>all-2.6.15.patch.

O.K., I built the full system with a 2.6.16-rc4 kernel, built udev-085
following the instructions in ch-10.53 except I didn't do:

cp -v ../udev-config-cross-lfs-1.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/25-lfs.rules

but I did rm -rf /etc/udev/rules.d/* as you suggested.

> Remove hotplug from the build and use udev-085. Then rm -rf
> /etc/udev/rules.d/*.
>
> Then install the udev package
> http://ftp.jg555.com/udev/udev-cross-lfs.tar.bz2.
> make install. If you want the network to automatically start when the
> module is loaded add make install-network.

Followed both of these steps, skipped hotplug, setup my existing grub for the
new kernel and set-up the boot scripts appropriately and re-booted.

> If you got any questions just drop me a line.

However, the new system still doesn't setup any modules on bootup. The only
curious thing is, when I was cross-compiling udev, it didn't install
udevstart, even though it compiled it, so I copied udevstart to /sbin. When I
rebuilt udev in ch-10.53 I didn't see it get installed either, but it was
there, so I didn't think much about it till now. ls -l shows that the
udevstart in /sbin is the one from the cross-compile step, not hte one I
built today, though I don't think that should matter.

So, where do I start looking to see why no modules are detected and loaded
during bootup into this new system? I can load modules manually, but as an
example, even after I load usb-storage, plugging in my USB memory stick
doesn't generate any kernel messages, and it doesn't get mapped to any
devices in /dev. Loading wacom, though does generate messages to say it sees
my wacom tablet? Should I work at getting this going, or should I wait for
the CLFS-x86_64Pure64 section to mature a bit more? I don't mind providing
debugging info, especially if it advances the book quicker.

Cheers,

	John Gay