Base system built, now next steps?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 7 06:49:51 PST 2006

John,

  I did a fresh build last week and this weekend.  I'm going to document
what I build in blfs, and any oddities, but my notes aren't yet ready
for public consumption.  So, in the meantime

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, John Gay wrote:

> 1) Build and configure dhcp client for connectivity with my network. Don't
> forsee any problems here. Should be straight forward enough.

  if you are using dhcp-3.0.2, to get it to build I needed to
sed -i 's/__u16/u_int16_t/g' common/tr.c

> 2) Build X.org. I've heard mention here that X wants to put 64-bit stuff
> into /lib64 instead of /lib. Any tips or suggestions for wrestling X into
> shape appreciated. Would it be sacrilegious to just copy the stuff
> from /lib64 to /lib, or is there hardwired things to watch out for?

  fix where the libraries go with
'#define LibDirName lib'
'#define LibDir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11'

  put the libGL symlink in /usr/lib with
'#define HaveLib64 NO'

(I'm running 6.9)

> 3) Install nVidia's 64bit driver and configure X to use it. I think nVidia
> uses /lib64 as well, but since it's pre-compiled, I don't have much option
> than either copy the stuff from /lib64 to /lib or create /lib64 if there's
> anything hardwired into the nVidia code.

  No idea, and no interest - my only box with an nvidia card is my G5.

> 4) Build full KDE Desktop. Not sure how well behaved this is in a pure64
> environment. Anyone with experience care to shed some light here?

  I don't build much of kde any more (arts, libs, base, only kmix from
multimedia, graphics, utils, k3b (untested), amarok (barely tested),
kaffeine (works, but xine works better for me)) - the only variation I
noticed was the standard --disable-fast-malloc for kdelibs (probably
needed on all architectures except x86).