Base system built, now next steps?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue Mar 7 01:18:21 PST 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 14:49, Ken Moffat wrote:
> John,
>
>   I did a fresh build last week and this weekend.  I'm going to document
> what I build in blfs, and any oddities, but my notes aren't yet ready
> for public consumption.  So, in the meantime

Thanks for the valuable input!

> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, John Gay wrote:
> > 1) Build and configure dhcp client for connectivity with my network.
> > Don't forsee any problems here. Should be straight forward enough.
>
>   if you are using dhcp-3.0.2, to get it to build I needed to
> sed -i 's/__u16/u_int16_t/g' common/tr.c

I added
#include <asm/types.h>
to get around this. I don't know which is 'more' correct, though.

> > 2) Build X.org. I've heard mention here that X wants to put 64-bit stuff
> > into /lib64 instead of /lib. Any tips or suggestions for wrestling X into
> > shape appreciated. Would it be sacrilegious to just copy the stuff
> > from /lib64 to /lib, or is there hardwired things to watch out for?
>
>   fix where the libraries go with
> '#define LibDirName lib'
> '#define LibDir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11'
>
>   put the libGL symlink in /usr/lib with
> '#define HaveLib64 NO'

I'll watch for that.

> (I'm running 6.9)

<SNIP nVidia stuff>
>   No idea, and no interest - my only box with an nvidia card is my G5.

Fair enough. I'll see what happens and reply.

> > 4) Build full KDE Desktop. Not sure how well behaved this is in a pure64
> > environment. Anyone with experience care to shed some light here?
>
>   I don't build much of kde any more (arts, libs, base, only kmix from
> multimedia, graphics, utils, k3b (untested), amarok (barely tested),
> kaffeine (works, but xine works better for me)) - the only variation I
> noticed was the standard --disable-fast-malloc for kdelibs (probably
> needed on all architectures except x86).

Thanks again for your valuable insight and experience! Simplifies a few
things, and gives me a heads-up on what to watch.

Cheers,

	John Gay